Pages

August 20, 2010

Firsts

The butt of a panda Squishable is staring me in the face.














That aside, this blog has been around for a while, but it was only recently--tonight, in fact--that I deleted all of my old and useless posts and decided to bring this thing back.

I've always found the first posts of blogs rather awkward. They clod along, usually just saying, "I decided to blog one day and now I'm writing my blog and this is weird and let's see how this goes," and then going on with their wonderfully blog-filled lives. Except, you know, they're a little more coherent and grammatically correct.

Since this is going to be primarily a writing blog, I guess I can make a parallel by saying you could say that about the beginning of anything. There are stories that shoot out of an author's fingers, but when they're read again some hours or weeks after they were initially spewed--well, they're awkward. They clod along, usually just saying, "I decided to pop into your brain one day and now I'm being written and this is weird and let's see how this goes," and then go on with they're continuously awkward x-amount of words lives. But, sadly, they're not often very coherent and grammatically correct.

Either way, a lot of the time, even those blogs of the best bloggers I know, author or paint-artist alike, have awkward first posts. But the rest of the blog? Well, it gets kind of awesome to the ten thousandth degree. So don't be afraid of that first awkward step, sentence, or even your first novel. It's the first step to success, and the first step into the rest of your awesome. No matter how awkward it is, it's worth it.

...Whoa, there. Easy on the cheese, self.

1 comment:

kayleigh'skaleidoscope said...

(This is Kayleigh from Jackson Pearce's Livestream chat.)

Exactly. That's it EXACTLY! The beginning of my novels, and blogs, are always crappy, and as I keep writing, I figure out my blogging style, or my character's voice, and it gets better.

Post a Comment