Pages

March 3, 2013

Marchy times

(We're going to try this again, aren't we?)

I should be reading for class. (Sidenote: I should always be reading for class.)

I'll just throw this out there: I'm kind of scared of starting my next story. The thing is, I'm outlining like crazy - I'm trying to figure out all the plot lines and characters and their motivations before I start to write anything substantial. Why? Because every time I've started a project before, I hit a wall around the middle because I don't have a good enough idea of where things are going and, more importantly, how they're going to get there.

That's why I'm outlining. I'm not using any particular method to do it, but I'm writing out relationship dynamics, character traits, reveals that will happen throughout the story, plot points... pretty much everything. I want to be able to hammer this baby out when it comes down to it.

So why am I scared?

Because I don't think I know what I'm doing.

I mean, I'm sure that's true of almost every writer out there. The difference is they actually... do stuff.

I'm doing stuff. I even have a critique partner who is awesome and great and wonderful and great and great.

So maybe I'll be less scared when I figure out everything that I need to figure out. (Like, you know, what my main character does in the second half of the novel.) I have subplots. I have big picture. I need detail.

It's scary to not know things, but I'll work to figure it out. Because that's the only thing to do, really. It's not going to run over and hit you in the face.

Besides, that would hurt.

I should be reading for class.

No comments:

Post a Comment